In the 11th Century, King Edward the Confessor gave lands formerly belonging to Pershore Abbey to endow his cherished foundation at Westminster Abbey. The story goes that he didn't tell the Abbot of Pershore who was not well pleased. When the Abbot found out he told the King to establish a church - St Andrew's - to serve the tenants of the Abbot of Westminster.
Parts of the present building date back to 1170. Major alterations and additions were made in the 14th, 15th and 19th Centuries. Services of worship continued until the 1960s. It was formally closed in the 1970's and remodelled to become St Andrew's Centre - to serve the community of Pershore. Inside you will find evidence of a medieval wall painting, a George II Coat of Arms. The main hall still looks like a church - stone pillars, stained glass and a timber ceiling. The former chancel has what appears to be a secondhand roof - possibly from a former monastery building. Upstairs the room created in the 1970's is full of character - its timber ceiling is wonderful.
The Abbey rents the building and pays a rent of "a pound of the best Pershore plums," The rent is paid in August when Pershore holds its famous Plum Fayre.
Today it is very much a community building where we welcome Pershore Civic Society, Country Market, Weightwatchers, Slimming World, Worcester Association of Carers and it is also where many of our Church based activities -
Now refurbished with modern toilet and kitchen facilities the Centre is available for hire for meetings, parties and small conferences. Please contact the Abbey Office (01386 552071) or email for details.
St Andrew's Centre Trust is a Registered Charity 501353
11 Broad Street